What’s your ideal home like? I guess we all like the feel and lushness of luxury, to live in that perfectly designed space that makes you feel like you are in a haven.
I know the feeling but designing that kind of space or buying those things certainly does not come cheap. But What if I told you that you can make your home look elegant and expensive without spending so much money. I’m sure you’d want to find out how.
A lot of interior designers and decorators know that expensive items don’t necessarily make your home look outstanding and expensive, you can have a cheap DIY piece combined with other elements to create an amazing space. These designers have found a way to help their clients achieve this goal with just a few design hacks. Eunicon interior shares 10 simple ways to make your home look expensive for cheap.
ways to make your home look expensive without breaking the bank.
- This is the simplest item on the list but it’s really important, Declutter: Organise and clean your space, less is always more. Get items you hardly use or never use out of your space. Use furniture with longer castor or legs as some people call it. When items are off the floor it is less cramped up and creates an illusion of more space underneath. you should try this one out right now, at least you won’t be spending a dime. So, just get items off the floor and keep only the essentials within the space, place items where they belong and hide all other things out of sight, you’d be glad you did.
- Go minimal: If you can, make your space as minimalist as possible. Have you been to a rich person’s home before?. Their spaces are simple with sleek and simple furniture. Creating a minimalist space requires fewer items in the space but you have to be intentional about it so that it doesn’t look like you are too broke to afford some other pieces or accessories. You have to play with neutral colours; work with quality and not quantity. Also, use contemporary furniture and flat surfaces, less decorative items, and keep design simple to achieve a minimalist design.
- Use accessories: Accessories make a lot of statements. You need to select accessories that will stand out but still fit perfectly into your design. Rich people always have huge mirrors in the bathroom, living room, and other areas. Mirrors do more than just show your reflection if strategically placed, it brings more light and creates an illusion of more space. So, Add detailed mirrors, a console table with mirror, arts, and painting or some antique piece to aid continuity and add some elegance to your space. Don’t be scared to use more than 1 mirror or really large mirrors.
PS when placing mirrors, make sure it’s not reflecting a problematic area in your home. Ensure that whatever reflects in the mirror will be pleasing to the eyes and add elegance to your decor.
- Add a touch of gold or bronze to your living room: Gold coloured items ordinarily look expensive whether it’s real gold or just plated items. Having obvious gold pieces used but sparingly will give off the feeling that you spent a lot of money to put your apartment together. The touch of gold or bronze can be a mix of glass on your centre table or console table or the castor of your sofa or even your curtain rods or the doorknob, drawer handle, and other hardware can appear luxurious.
PS avoid using too much gold, it may make your decor look too amature. Don’t try so hard with the gold, just make it obvious but mild.
- Use beautiful throw pillows: It’s funny how simple and cheap this is, you can create repetition and rhythm with just throw pillows. Add some nice soft fur or beautifully patterned fabric pillow. Fur Pillows always look expensive especially when it’s a white or neutral colour, they are easy to get and are not expensive but you can also ask your local tailor to make something nice for you to adorn your living room or you can also shop for pillows near you
- Lighting: most people just have enough light to see and move around. illumination is a very important part of making your home look expensive and it could be natural or artificial light, someone said that it’s like rich people have a different kind of sunlight because there’s always a lot of natural light coming through their full glass doors or windows. For artificial light, Good looking lamps and lamp holders are not as expensive as they look, so be sure you are not breaking the bank to make this work. You can also add a chandelier or a nice pendant light in the middle of the living room and by the dining area and in the kitchen island if you have that, it can be your focal point as it creates emphasis. Lamps and candles also fall into this category, some candle stands also serve as accessories to beautify your space. candles and accent light are used to set the mood for special days. It’s also good to have lights and lamps that can be controlled for effects.
- If your house smells nice it gives off your high taste and style, so make sure your house always smells good. You can Get block air fresheners, or the spray type or even the scented candles which I highly recommend because it serves as both an accessory and fragrance. There’s this elegance or pride you feel when you walk in to lit your scented candle that is strategically placed on your console table or some visible spot.
- Flowers are back to the interior space, no matter the setting or your interior design style, plants will always fit in. Add plants or flowers to your space whether it’s a life or a synthetic one. plants add some warmth and a feel of nature to your space and it’s nice to be welcomed home by some beautiful greenery. Here are 5 reasons to add flowers to your home decor. you may want to check that out and there are so many places you can easily purchase artificial plants and flowers from or just drop a question below.
- Curtains have a way of making your house full, curtains are like mascara, they make your face feel put together. Use curtains instead of blinds if you want an expensive look at home, blinds are perfect if you are creating a minimalist space. Make your curtains full, have a day blind (that’s the light inner linen) so that you can use tiebacks, and show off a bit during the day. Some people don’t know how to hang curtains, get your measurements right before you buy, or get an installer to come assist you. The right way to sew your curtains is making them kiss the floor not an inch shorter or longer if it’s shorter it makes it look cheap. Hanging curtains from the ceiling help to enhance the visual height of the space by drawing the eye upward. Opt for a light, sheer fabric to increase the amount of natural light.
- And lastly, invest in good sofas, give your sofa a lavish look with fine fabric, your sofa doesn’t have to be expensive but use good quality fabric and a bespoke sofa is a way to go with whatever your budget is, Something good can be crafted for you and you can choose your design, colour and texture of the fabric. Your sofa is a major item in your home so if you get it right, every other thing can seamlessly fall in place. While selecting your sofa also ensure to have an accent chair included. An accent piece is any chair that has a distinct colour, shape that will add impact and visual curiosity and make the space pop.