PANTONE LLC saved the year by giving the world colours that depict so much energy through its appearance and mixture. If you haven’t heard of Pantone before now, then you are spot on reading this article. The Pantone Colour Institute is the business unit within Pantone that highlights the top seasonal runway colours, top pick ‘the Pantone Colour of the Year,’ predicts global colour trends, and advises companies on colour for product and brand visual identity.
Through seasonal trend forecasts, colour psychology, and colour consulting, the Pantone Colour Institute partners with global brands to effectively force the power, psychology, and emotion of colour in their design strategy. Some fashion blogs like WWD, Pinterest, and other well-known fashion blogs all centred their content around Pantone’s prediction by showing beautiful images of models in the predicted colours.
Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Colour Institute and Laurie Pressman, Vice President of the Pantone Colour Institute in an article explained what each independent colour stands for and the message behind coming together of the colours which symbolise aspiration, hope, resilience and need to feel uplifted.
Colour is the major significance when it comes to fashion and the way it is being combined makes it a pretty big deal, trendy and acceptable leaving a great remark wherever you show up. The Illuminating (13-0647) is a bright and cheerful yellow sparkling with great enthusiasm, a warm yellow shade infused with solar power. Ultimate Gray is emblematic of solid and dependable elements which are everlasting and provide a firm foundation. The colours of pebbles on the beach and natural elements whose weathered appearance highlights an ability to stand the test of time. Ultimate Gray quietly assures and encourages feelings of composure, steadiness and resilience.
Talking of combination and appearance, I wished I could have been her superhero and fashion judge and saved the day that fateful morning when this lady walked up to me and asked, “Hi, what do you think about my glasses? And the response that popped into my head was, “Don’t you have friends at home that could point out whatever was wrong with your appearance?” But I chose to rather save the day than to ruin the confidence she started out with. Some of you may think I’m such a mean person, oh well! Next time, if you don’t want people giving you a comforting lie but would like them to say the truth along with a compliment, then these few tips below should serve as a guideline for your fashion sense for the year 2021.
- Define yourself: the first and most important rule when it comes to fashion and getting compliments has to do with explicating yourself and personal style. In order to work this tip, you’d have to do a proper analysis of your body i.e. getting to know what suits your body type and physique rather than going for what will make you less attractive. A fashion quote says “Style is a way to say WHO YOU’RE without having to speak.” — Rachel Zoe.
- Have great tastes for fabrics and prints: the next step after defining your body is having a unique taste for fabrics and prints. This tip helps in enhancing your appearance, you don’t just wear anything all in the name of ‘clothing is clothing.’ The classier the fabric, the classier your appearance. Nino Cerruti, an Italian businessman and stylist also said, “Only an excellent fabric can originate an excellent fashion.” So, if you’re wondering why you’ve never been noticed with your choice of styles, try changing your choice of fabrics and prints.
- Deal with your perfect size: when you go shopping, pick your perfect size and stop shopping with the mindset of I will increase in size and meet up. No matter how much you love an oversized ensemble, either because of the fabric or print, look for a professional fashion designer to reshape it in a way that doesn’t tell it was amended. And if that can’t be achieved, go for another style. Karl Otto Lagerfeld, a German fashion designer, also advises you to “buy clothes the size you want to wear.”
- Be conscious of colour-block: There was a time colour blocking was in vogue, people were wearing onion yellow on cockroach pink and blocking it with custard purple. Lol. Doing all that makes you less classy but hilarious. However, if you want to colour block, try staying within style so you don’t look ridiculous. It’s a new year and it should be a new fashion sense all the way for you. Less ridiculous colours, please! And in more mature colours. Lucky you, Pantone gave 2021 COLOUR lead for the year already.
- Manicure: Manicure is part of fashion, people! How loud do you want me to say this? Half peeled nail paint is irritating and avoid this by having simple manicure tools in your closet to clean peeled nail polish and gloss it up with nude nail polish, pending the time you are ready to visit the spa or a nail technician.
- Hair: What is the first thing you noticed about anyone? Is it their body shape, eyes, posture? You name it. Anyway, it all depends on what captivates your attention. Hair is considered an individual signifier of the human personality, which means that hair is part of fashion and also the first thing people notice when meeting you for the first time. So, giving your hair that special attention this new year and beyond should be part of your routine. Get those shampoo & conditioner, hair cream, hair treatments and mouse that will give your hair a shiny and healthy appearance. You don’t necessarily have to use extensions before you look attractive. Gibby Brown’s blog on hair quotes; “Invest in your hair. That’s the crown you will never take off.”
- Cologne: I remember a day I was walking back to my hostel after receiving lectures and luckily for me I got a ride back to my hostel. It was an answered prayer because the sun that day was sent from hell on humankind. Immediately, I stepped into his car, the first compliment I got was about the way I smelled and who I was wearing. The crux on cologne says; cologne is part of fashion, you wear it and it defines you like every piece of clothing does. “No elegance is possible without perfume. It is the unseen, unforgettable, ultimate accessory”–Coco Chanel Let your cologne leave a lasting impression on people this new year. Be like Elizabeth Taylor and never face the day without perfume.
Being worthy or not guilty of the above tips should not make you overlook the major factors that sell fashion, which is “CONFIDENCE and CHARISMA,” the two most powerful tools that get models swinging and swaying down the runway. So, after buying your perfect dress size and selecting great fabrics and prints, not forgetting to add the 2021 ultimate grey and illuminating yellow by Pantone, your confidence and charisma will definitely come to play. Confidence is the best outfit you can rock.
After dishing out the above tips, always remember that overpriced stuff most times go unnoticed while minimal appearance does receive all the accolades! Again, adding some Pantone predicted colour to your closet will be a safe play and guide this year.