Governor Babagana Zulum on Tuesday said that due to insurgency, the whereabouts of no fewer than 10 per cent of the population of Borno State is unknown.
He also said that over 100,000 people had been killed in Borno State in the last 12 years of insurgency in the North-East.
He spoke to State House Correspondents after a meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari, noting that he discussed with the president the report of Boko Haram insurgents, who recently surrendered in the state.
The governor said there was no reason the Boko Haram members who surrendered should be rejected, explaining that a total of 2,600 of them surrendered and are currently in custody.
The governor said not all of the Boko Haram members are criminals and among those who surrendered that some of them were innocent people vehemently recruited to join the Boko Haram sect while some are teenagers.
Declaring his support for the insurgents who surrendered, he said he never thought of giving the repentant Boko Haram terrorists any dine for them to surrender.
Zulum added that he had been attacked for about 50 times by the terrorist group since coming to office.