United States Embassy in Abuja, on Friday, confirmed the return of two of its staff abducted during an attack in Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State.
On Tuesday, a convoy of US embassy staff was attacked with some staff and security personnel gunned down on the spot and their corpses set ablaze.
But Police in Anambra on Friday announced the rescue of two staff by joint security operatives in the state.
State Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Tochukwu Ikenga, said the kidnapped staff were rescued unhurt.
No details of the rescue was given, including the location or any other information on the state of health of the rescued victims.
Also, the US Embassy, in a statement on Friday, confirmed that two employees involved in the Anambra convoy attack had been rescued.
It said they were safe under the protection of Nigerian authorities in Anambra.
The Embassy stated, “We have informed their families of their safe recovery. US Mission personnel are on their way to meet and accompany them home.
“We continue to work intensively with the Nigerian security and law enforcement on this matter, to identify the victims previously found, and to bring to justice those responsible for this heinous attack.
“We welcome any information the public may have in this regard. We are deeply grateful for the partnership and solidarity of the Nigerian government and Nigerian security and law enforcement colleagues and mourn with them for those who died in the attack.”
On Thursday, Anambra State Commissioner of Police, Echeng Echeng, had told journalists that two persons had been arrested in connection with the crime.
He gave the names of those murdered as Inspector Bukar Adams, Inspector Friday Morgan, Inspector Adamu Andrew and Inspector Emmanuel Lupata; they were all from Squadron 23, Police Mobile Force, Lagos.
The CP said information from the USAID authority disclosed that five (5) of their staff and four policemen were involved in the attack
The embassy staff are: Jefferson Obayuwane (RTD DSS personnel), Sunday Prince Ubong
Ekene Nweke, Hassan Etila and Avwuvie Kaye Monday.
He said the police suspected members of Eastern Security Network ESN/ Indigenous people of Braifa, IPOB to have carried out the attack.
But IPOB has issued a statement denying its involvement in the incident.