Ghana’s Foreign Affairs Minister, Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey, says the Ghanaian government will reconstruct the building demolished at the Nigerian high commission in Accra.
Some armed men had last Friday reportedly invaded the commission and demolished some buildings under construction.
Reacting to the development, the Ghanaian government said perpetrators of the act would be punished.
President Nana Akufo-Addo also called President Muhammadu Buhari to apologise for the incident, while two suspects have been arrested over the demolition.
On Wednesday, Botchwey said an investigative committee had been set up to probe the incident, adding that the commission would be issued a title deed for the land.
Botchway said, “The high commission of Nigeria further presented receipts of payment of the said land made by bankers draft. However, land title certificate had not been issued to the high commission.
“The lands commission advised the high commission of Nigeria to provide relevant document on ownership of the land but the former did not respond to the letter.
“Based on the silence of the high commission of Nigeria, the lands commission went ahead to issue a Land title certificate covering the said parcel of land to a 3rd party.
“The government of Ghana will ensure that the demolished building is restored to its original state as soon as possible.”
A Ghanaian monarch had accused the Nigerian high commission of trespassing on the land which he said belonged to his people.