The raging inferno caused by an explosion at the Canadian High Commission in Abuja has reportedly claimed two lives.
A security source said that two people affected by the explosion have already been confirmed dead.
“It was actually an explosion that has killed two,” the security source said.
Earlier, it was reported that the Canadian High Commission located at 13010G, Palm Close, Diplomatic Drive, Central Business District in Abuja, was on fire.
Viral online pictures showed smoke coming from the building.
The High Commission provides visa and immigration services for those seeking to visit or emigrate to Canada. It also provides services to Canadians visiting and living in Nigeria and to Canadians in Equatorial Guinea, and Sao Tome and Principe.
However, further checks have revealed that it was a generator explosion.
According to an eyewitness, who pleaded anonymity, the explosion came with a blanket of thick smoke from the generator house of the High Commission located on Diplomatic Drive, Central Business District, Abuja at about 11:30am.
It was gathered that the underground tank of the High Commission might have caused the explosion.
According to the source, “It exploded twice. I leant that they don’t use NEPA (defunct National Electric Power Authority, now Power Holding Company of Nigeria), but uses generator 24 hours.”
The source added that a technician at the High Commission and another staff allegedly went to the generator room to carry out some repairs when the explosion occurred.
The source said the two victims of the explosion were burnt beyond recognition.
Officials of the Canadian High Commission have yet to speak on the incident.