The Ekehen Train Station in the Igbuebem Local Government Area (LGA) of Edo State was attacked by gunmen, but the Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has denied allegations that train services on the Itakpe-Warri axis have been suspended as a result.
Contrary to rumors spreading, the NRC’s Managing Director, Fidet Okhiria, saidthat the train services had not been suspended.
He acknowledged that there had been an attack, which the NRC and police are presently investigating, but said that the incident had not interfered with station operations.
He told Channels Television over the phone, “As I speak to you now, a train is running.”
According to him, the railway corporation is putting in place measures to ensure the safety of passengers.
On Sunday, the police command in Edo State stated that dozens of people who were waiting to board a train to Warri, Delta State, were abducted by suspected herdsmen who attacked the station.
While confirming the event, Chidi Nwabuzor, a spokesperson for the State Police Command, stated that the assault, which happened on Saturday night, left many people hurt.
The police said that the assailants, who were armed with AK-47 rifles, attacked the train station and opened fire randomly before kidnapping a large number of would-be travelers and taking them into the wilderness.