It is surprising to hear that sugarcane can actually be beneficial to one’s health because it’s so sweet and many think that sugar is not good for the body.
Although sugar is made from sugarcane, you need to know that sugarcane is different from the regular kind of sugar.
I grew up in the North, in Jos Plateau State to be precise and there’s a lot of sugar cane around there, so I grew up eating some pretty juicy sugar cane and I had no idea that I was doing myself a favour. When we were young there were these guys who sold sugar cane. They call them ‘mai Rake’ (sugar cane seller). They used to move the sugarcane around in a wheelbarrow; we didn’t have money to buy sugar cane as kids and our parents won’t give us money to buy sugar cane so we would wait outside the house for these guys to pass and all we needed to do was to give them some water to wet their sugar canes if they request and then they would give us some sugar cane in appreciation of the kind gesture (now I feel nostalgic, it was a fun period). So, we did that often and got free sugar canes.
I usually would just enjoy sugar cane until I found out that it had certain benefits and I began to think that it was the sugarcane that helped my perfect sight. So I’m going to share with you nine amazing benefits of eating sugarcane or sugar cane juice
-HEALTH BENEFITS OF SUGARCANE JUICE
1. Sugarcane is packed with a lot of anti-cancer properties: it protects and reduces your chances of having breast cancer and prostate cancer. Sugarcane is rich in polyphenols, a naturally occurring organic compound and according to Plos one, sugar cane has the ability to reduce obesity, control blood sugar and aid diabetes management. There is a lot to get from sugar cane, that’s why you should chew it and enjoy the sugar without guilt.
2. Sugarcane also has antioxidants that protect your body from certain diseases: antioxidants are substances that protect the cells against free radicals. It boosts your immune system and helps fight the build-up of toxins in the body. Sugar cane is rich in iron, calcium, magnesium and other nutrients. Get as many antioxidants from sugarcane and other fruits and vegetables that contain antioxidants, you are doing your body a great favour
3. Sugarcane is also good for the eyes: It helps protect your eyes from bad sight. Generally, it is known to help vision when you chew it, and it also reduces puffy eyes and dark circles around the eyes. This benefit can be derived by either chewing or applying the sugar cane juice around the affected areas. Lots of skincare experts and cosmetics makers use sugar cane and also include the extracts into their products. See how you can add sugar cane to your skincare routine.
4. Sugarcane is a good source of carbohydrate: although It may be sugary, the sugar in it has a low glycemic index so it is safe to take without being perturbed about the sugar content or the quantity of sugar you are ingesting. It is almost said to be safe for diabetics and people that have high sugar levels. Also, the sugar in sugar cane is a complex sugar, unlike the sugar in soda and carbonated drinks, this sugar does not easily break down, this provides proper fuel for your body and gives you energy. Simple sugars easily break down and cause a spike in your blood sugar levels and leave you craving for more sugary food, which is unhealthy for anyone.
5. Sugarcane helps preserve liver and kidney health and prevents jaundice: jaundice is the yellowing of the skin and eyes, it may occur if the liver cannot fully process the red blood cells as they break down. untreated jaundice can lead to brain damage and cerebral palsy.
6. Sugarcane serves a diuretic function: it aids healthy urination and protects against UTIs (urinary tract infections).
7. Sugarcane protects your stomach from indigestion: it performs a laxative function thereby improving bowel movement and easing constipation. Sugar cane is rich in potassium and so it protects the stomach from infection.
9: Sugarcane also fights cavities and protects your teeth: ordinarily one would have thought that because sugar is bad for teeth just like chocolates and other sweet things but the reverse is the case in sugarcane. The content of sugarcane actually helps protect your teeth from getting worse, it is also a form of exercise for the mouth and offers general oral health.
It also helps improve your skin it gives it a glow and a radiant as that is not regular
There are different ways that you can have sugar cane. You can either through the whole stalk or you drink it as sugarcane juice, most people who don’t have the strength to chew it just drink it and it’s a great drink. There are different ways you can also have your sugar cane juice.
Sugar cane is very cheap and accessible to anyone who wants to enjoy the benefits. It can be chewed or juiced as a sugar cane drink. Whenever I get to drink the sugar cane juice, I like to add a little bit of lemon or ginger to give it a better flavour. You should try that when next you are having sugar cane juice. Whichever one you choose to do is great but I prefer to chew it the old school way. And I prefer chewing it because I can use it to satisfy unhealthy and late-night cravings, so instead of eating any of those boredom snacks I just get a bowl of sliced sugarcane or the long stem and enjoy some sugarcane. Sugarcane is also said to be good for diabetics but you should always ask your doctor what’s good for you before you indulge.