The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) on Friday announced it had revoked the broadcast licences of AIT, Raypower FM, Silverbird TV, Rhythm FM and 50 others over alleged failure to renew their broadcast licences amounting to N2.66 billion.
NBC explained in a statement that the move followed the publication of a list of stations yet to renew their licences, adding that a two-week waiver was given to them in May to do so after which they risked the revocation of their broadcast licences.
The Commission said three months after the publication that “some licensees are yet to pay their outstanding debts, in contravention of the National Broadcasting Commission Act CAP N11, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004, particularly section 10(a) of the third schedule of the Act.
“Therefore, after due consideration, NBC hereby announces the revocation of the licenses of the…stations and gives them 24 hours to shut down their operations. Our offices nationwide are hereby directed to collaborate with security agencies to ensure immediate compliance,” the statement said.
According to NBC, the continued operation of the “debtor stations is illegal and constitutes a threat to national security”.
It, therefore, asked other broadcast stations that are yet to renew their licences for the present duration to do so within the next 30 days to avoid sanctions.
“The Commission also calls on all IPTV (Internet Protocol Television) and all other broadcast stations that are streaming online to register with the Commission to avoid disconnection.
“Broadcasters should note that having a DTT or FM license does not warrant a broadcaster to stream online; they are two different licences,” NBC said.
The list below shows the affected stations:
1. Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Abuja
2. Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Lagos
3. Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Yenagoa
4. Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Port Harcourt
5. Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communications Ltd) FM Jos
6. Rhythm FM (Silverbird Communication Ltd) Benin
7. AIT/Ray Power FM (DAAR Communication ltd) Network
8. Greetings FM (Greetings Media Ltd)
9. FM Network Tao FM (Ovidi Communications Ltd)
10. FM Okene, Zuma FM (Zuma FM Ltd)
11. FM Suleja Crowther FM (Crowther Communications Ltd) FM Abuja
12. We FM (Kings Broadcasting Ltd)
13. FM Benin Linksman International Itd
14. Keffi Bomay Broadcasting Services Ltd Abuja
15. MITV (Murhi International Group Ltd) Ibadan
16. Classic FM (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Port-Harcourt
17. Classic FM (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Lagos
18. Classic TV (Pinkt Nigeria Ltd) Lagos
19. Beat FM (Megalectrics LTD) Lagos
20. Cooper Communications Ltd Lagos
21. Splash FM (West Midlands Ltd) Ibadan
22. Osun State Broadcasting Corporation
23. Rock City FM (Boot Communications Ltd) Abeokuta
24. Family FM (Kalaks Investments Nig. Ltd) Ilugun
25. Space FM (Creazioni Nig. Ltd) Ibadan
26. Radio Jeremi (Radio Jeremi Itd) Effurun
27. Breeze FM (Bays Water Ltd) Akure
28. Vibes FM (Vibes Communication Ltd) Benin
29. Family Love FM (Multimesh Broadcasting Co. Ltd) Port-Harcourt
30. Wave FM (South Atlantic Media Ltd)
31. Kogi State Broadcasting Corporation
32. Kwara State Broadcasting Corporation
33. Niger State Broadcasting Corporation
34. Gombe State Broadcasting Corporation
35. Lagos State Broadcasting Corporation
36. Ogun State Broadcasting Corporation
37. Ondo State Broadcasting Corporation
38: Rivers State Broadcasting Corporation
39. Bayelsa State Broadcasting Corporation
40. Cross River State Broadcasting Corporation
41. Imo State Broadcasting Corporation
42. Anambra State Broadcasting Corporation
43. Borno State Broadcasting Corporation
44. Yobe State Broadcasting Corporation
45. Sokoto State Broadcasting Corporation
46. Zamfara State Broadcasting Corporation
47. Kebbi State Broadcasting Corporation
48. Jigawa State Broadcasting Corporation
49. Kaduna State Broadcasting Corporation
50. Katsina State Broadcasting Corporation
51. Lagos DSB
52. Silverbird TV (Silverbird Communications Co. Ltd)