…renews strategies to secure APC presidential ticket at party’s convention
Following the clean bill of health given former President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday by a court to re-contest the number one political office in the country, plans for his emergence as the ruling All Progressives Congress’ presidential candidate in 2023 have once again been renewed.
There was wild jubilation and increased political activities in Jonathan’s camp over Friday’s development at the court, it was learnt.
First News learnt that Jonathan’s political allies and aides went into a frenzy to celebrate the former president’s victory at the court as they immediately launched fresh moves to ensure his victory at the forthcoming APC presidential primaries.
Feelers from Jonathan’s camp on Friday indicated that the former president’s allies in the ruling APC have begun to restrategise on how to perfect their plans for him to clinch the much-coveted ruling party’s presidential ticket at its forthcoming special convention in Abuja.
But none of the former president’s political allies in the APC was ready to speak on the renewed activities concerning Jonathan’s 2023 presidential bid.
A chieftain of the APC, who pleaded anonymity, however, told First News that with the clearance given Jonathan on Friday by the court, foot soldiers of the former president in the APC had begun fresh moves to ensure his emergence as the ruling party’s flagbearear in the 2023 presidential election.
He said Jonathan’s re-election bid being championed by three prominent Northern governors, might succeed because “they have the ears of President Muhammadu Buhari, who will readily believe whatever these three governors tell him.”
He said with the legal backing given Jonathan by the court ruling, finishing touches would only need to be applied on the earlier strategies by the three Northern governors and some powerful politicians from the region to draft the former president into the 2023 presidential race.
Recall that a Federal High Court sitting in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State capital, on Friday, had ruled that former President Goodluck Jonathan is eligible to participate in the 2023 presidential race.
The presiding judge, Justice Isa Hamma Dashen gave the ‘landmark’ ruling on the eve of the earlier scheduled All Progressives Congress’ presidential primary election.
The court also held that Jonathan’s right to contest the office of president of Nigeria again cannot be hindered by any retroactive law.
Recall that a Fulani group recently purchased the N100million APC nomination forms for Jonathan.
But his eligibility for the 2023 presidential race had generated heated arguments amongst different sections of the country.
But on Friday the court, ruled that the former president can still re-contest the number one political office in Nigeria.
Recall that Jonathan as incumbent president, lost the 2015 election to President Muhammadu Buhari.
The former president had since then been linked with the ruling APC, especially because of his closeness to his successor, President Muhammadu Buhari.