Lagos State Government, on Monday, suspended airlifting of the second batch of intending pilgrims to Israel following the ongoing war between Israel and Hamas.
Some Christians from the state had gone for pilgrimage in Jerusalem and another set of pilgrims were scheduled to be airlifted to Israel on Tuesday, October 10.
Over 1,000 people have been killed on both sides after Hamas’ Saturday attack and a reprisal by the Israeli forces.
Board Secretary of the Lagos State Christian Pilgrims Welfare Board, Mrs. Florence Gbafe, announced the suspension in a statement on Monday.
Gbafe said that the decision was as a result of keen observation of security situations in Israel.
LSCPWB and the Nigerian Christian Pilgrims Commission, she said, would announce a new date for the airlifting of the second batch of the intending pilgrims in due course.
She said the board regreted any inconvenience the suspension might cause, adding that the intending pilgrims would be duly informed of developments about their journey to the Holy Land.
She said, “To all on the second batch of pilgrimage to Israel, kindly note that the pilgrimage is now on hold due to the war situation in Israel. Further information will be communicated as and when due please.”
Gbafe maintained that the Lagos State Government and the Federal Government would continue to prioritize the safety of all pilgrims to the holy land and will not expose Nigerians to any situation that will put their security at risk.
She thanked God for the safety of the first batch of pilgrims from Lagos State who had already concluded their pilgrimage activities on Sunday, revealing that the pilgrims were expected to arrive in Nigeria later on Monday.