Tyson Fury’s heavyweight title defence against Deontay Wilder has been postponed after the champion and members of his training crew contracted Covid-19, the World Boxing Council confirmed on Friday.
WBC posted on its Twitter that the July 24 bout had been postponed but did not mention the reschedule of the trilogy fight.
WBC said “Fury vs Wilder III will be postponed.” “We wish Tyson Fury’s team and him speedy recovery from COVID.”
Multiple reports in the US and Britain have said Fury and several members of his team had tested positive for Covid-19 at their Las Vegas training base.
The positive test was the latest twist to what has been a torturous year for the undefeated “Gypsy King” Fury.
Fury had been set to face a money-spinning heavyweight unification fight against fellow Briton Anthony Joshua.
However, that fight was scuppered after an arbitrator ruled that Fury was legally obligated to face Wilder in a third fight.
Their first fight, in December 2018, ended in a controversial split-decision draw in which Fury was knocked down twice.
Fury handed Wilder a brutal beating in seven one-sided rounds in their second fight in February 2020.
Neither Wilder, 35, nor Fury, has fought since their bout in Las Vegas last year.