A fire outbreak has destroyed property and valuables at a building owned by the late former president of Nigeria, Alhaji Shehu Shagari.
The fire incident was said to have occurred at 11 am on Saturday at the house located in the Gobirawa area of Sokoto.
The affected building was said to have housed no fewer than 20 family members of the late former president.
Witnesses said several belongings of the family were destroyed in the fire, but no lives were lost.
A grandson of Shagari, Attahiru Shehu, who confirmed the incident, said he was at home when the fire broke out. Attahiru said he heard people raising awareness and calling for help to quench the fire.
Shagari was the first democratically elected president of Nigeria. He held the position between 1979 and 1983 when he was ousted in a military coup.
He died at the age of 92 on December 28, 2018.