Federal Government, on Saturday, announced the indefinite suspension of the N-Power programme.
Government said it took the decision to suspend the programme due to some irregularities within the scheme.
It added that an investigation had been launched into the utilization of funds since the commencement of the programme.
Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Poverty Alleviation, Betta Edu, disclosed this while featuring on a TVC news programme on Saturday.
According to the Minister, some of the beneficiaries are not found in their place of assignments, but they expect to be paid their monthly stipends.
Edu said some of the beneficiaries who ought to have exited the programme since 2022 were still on the payroll.
She said, “We must go back to look into N-Power and understand what the problems are. So, we will basically suspend the programme for now until we are done with proper investigation into the utilization of fund into the N-Power programme.
“We want to know how many persons are basically on the programme right now, how many persons are owed, amount they are owed. We are totally restructuring the N-Power and expanding it.
“There are lots going on. We met people who are supposed to have exited the programme since last year and they are still on claiming that they are still teaching.
“Sometimes we contact the school or the places where they are working and they are not there. They are not working, yet they keep claiming that they are being owed eight or nine months stipends. About 80 percent of them are not working, yet they are claiming salaries.”
Recall that former President Muhammadu Buhari-led administration launched the N-Power Programme to tackle youth unemployment and increase social development.