President Muhammadu Buhari has promised to deal severely with the Boko Haram insurgents over their Saturday’s attack on a United Nations aid helicopter in the Northeast.
Buhari, who condemned “the dastardly attack on UN aid helicopter in the Northeast on Saturday by the Boko Haram terrorists,” said that the attack won’t go without severe consequences for the insurgent group.
Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, in a statement on Sunday, quoted Buhari as describing the attack as a “rear guard action” of members of the sect, who had been under pressure from the military.
The statement titled “President Buhari condemns Boko Haram’s cowardly attack on UN in the Nort East,” quoted the President as saying, “This latest cowardly attack on the UN humanitarian helicopter is yet another desperate rear guard action by the Boko Haram terrorists who have been under intense pressure from the Nigerian military.
“Let me reassure the international community and Nigerians that this latest cowardly attack on a UN helicopter which claimed the lives of two people, including a five -year old baby, would not go without severe consequences.
“Boko Haram terrorists are clearly on the back foot and their increasing attacks on innocent civilians, including UN humanitarian workers, was part of their desperation to prove that they are strong in order to cover up their dwindling fortunes.”
Buhari said the security of foreigners and Nigerians remained the top priority of his regime.
He promised not to leave any stone unturned until the regime eliminates “these remorseless enemies of humanity.”
The President also stressed the need for all humanitarian and other aid workers in the region to always properly coordinate movements – air or land, with the Theatre Commander and other military authorities.