The Federal High Court, on Thursday, dismissed claims claims that it disqualified the All Progressives Congress’ governorship candidate, Biodun Oyebanji from Saturday’s (tomorrow) gubernatorial election in Ekiti State.
The court in a statement by the Assistant Director Information, Federal High Court of Nigeria, Dr Catherine Oby Christopher, said, “The attention of the Federal High Court has been drawn to an online report in circulation on the above subject matter with a purportedly assigned Suit Number: FHC/ABJ/CS/528/22, claiming that Hon. Justice Inyang Ekwo disqualified the APC candidate, Biodun Oyebanji from the Ekiti governorship election, less than 48 hours to the polls.
“The Federal High Court hereby debunks the existence of any such case in its entire jurisdiction and indeed the Court Order as alleged.”
The court stressed that there had been no such case before Hon. justice I.E Ekwo.
It, therefore, described the said report as unfounded, very mischievous and aimed at not only misleading members of the public, but also causing tension.
The statement further read, “It is worrisome that some media practitioners hasten to give false information to the public for their own selfish interests, thereby unduly heating up the polity.
“Professionalism and truth remain ethical values that should guide journalists in their daily reportage of issues.
“This spurious reportage sold out to the public is most unfortunate and unacceptable. It should be totally ignored.”