Nigeria is one of the worst places to fall ill or have certain illnesses like liver and kidney diseases. Nigeria is said to be the giant of Africa but our healthcare system is terrible. it is so bad that even the number one person in the country still goes for medical tourism, I mean.. that’s crazy. Nigeria is over 60 years old and we still have to fight for basic amenities like health care and other things. I like the fact that a lot of insurance companies are springing up; health insurance, car insurance, life insurance and every kind of insurance. Although this is still alien to Nigerians, some people are picking up and patronising these insurance companies. I don’t want to stress how bad the Nigerian health sector is in this article. I just want to give you reasons why you should look out for yourself by getting health insurance and I’ll be sharing with you the benefits of getting yourself a good health insurance company and a few affordable personal insurance companies in Nigeria.
I used to think health insurance was only available to you when you’re working with a company or a large organization and very rich people. The first time I ever had health insurance was in the first company I worked with and that was years back. After I left that company I lost my health insurance and went back to going to the hospital only when necessary.
Having health insurance is a great way to look out for yourself, a lot of people don’t go to the hospital because they think of the cost and what they will be charged when they go to the hospital and they also worry if they will be given proper care and attention when they go there. so, there’s a lot to worry about but when you have health insurance all you need to do is pay as at when due and show up, that’s why people die carelessly because they don’t go to the hospital for routine checks, minor recurring pains and things that could be wrong with them, things that can easily be fixed and avoided if you have gone for checks.
Just recently I found out that I can have health insurance as an individual, finance it for myself and get all the benefits. It was super amazing, when I saw it I quickly grabbed it, picked a plan and started using it and since then every time I feel a little headache or anything that doesn’t feel right in my body I go straight to the hospital.
Some Benefits of having Personal Health Insurance in Nigeria.
Health insurance is an agreement with a company that can help you afford the cost of health care. Health insurance can be a group, family or an individual or organisation.
- Although you may be required to pay monthly or yearly for your insurance it’s still cheaper because there are times you get broke and don’t have money for simple medications, the HMO just takes care of your bills. In my own insurance company, I don’t even need to have a dime when I go to the hospital except if what I’m going to treat does not fall under what the insurance covers.
- You have access to professionals 24/7, so you can always check what is wrong with you any day and anytime before it gets worse, as they say, early detection saves lives.
- You no longer have to self-medicate or google-diagnose yourself because they will be available for you any day any time, you can even schedule your appointment, except if it’s an emergency.
- You can have a record of your symptoms and anything you are treating because theres a file of all your diagnoses, treatments and everything you have ever complained about .so, it is easier to trace whatever is wrong with you and nip it in immediately.
- You get to observe your body closely because the fear of not being able to go to the hospital is out of the way.
- You don’t have to queue up for long hours like public hospitals to see a doctor.
- If your insurance company is national, you can be sure to get quality health care service anywhere in the country, especially if you travel a lot.
- When there is a health emergency, you will be given priority without a second thought. If one of the hospitals under your HMO can’t handle it you can quickly be referred to another hospital.
- You have access to lots of consultants and specialists. Compared to a public hospital where their consultants show up once in a couple of months and sometimes they don’t even have consultants.
- You pay less for those expensive surgeries and operations. There’s a limit to what they cover but you realize that you are paying almost nothing compared to what you would have paid without insurance.
4 Affordable Personal Health Insurance Companies in Nigeria
Now that you know the benefits of health insurance don’t you think it would be nice if you can get one now? So below is a list of good health insurance companies that you can buy into as an individual.
- Reliance HMO: of course this will be number one because it is the HMO I use and the services have been super amazing. They have lots of hospitals that you can go to nearest to you and they have 24/7 online access to doctors and medical practitioners so instead of self-medicating you can easily ask a doctor from the comfort of your home right from the app and you will be prescribed some medication and then you go to your nearest pharmacy to pick it up but is super amazing and my package cost only 3,500 Naira every month. Sign up for reliance HMO today you get one month free so check it out now. They also have a family and corporate plan.
- Hygeia HMO: a few of my friends use this and they are very happy about it, so I can confidently recommend Hygeia to you. They have individual, family and corporate plans, their individual plan starts from 39,660 per year which is quite reasonable. Unlike my HMO that offers flexible monthly payment, this is a single payment but it is still affordable. Check out their plans and quickly sign up for a health insurance.
- Mycovergenius: this is a new health insurance company that is very affordable with a flexible monthly payment as well. They have partnered with bigger health insurance companies to make health insurance affordable for all. They have coverage for individuals, couples and family plans from 1,600 Naira only per month, you can begin to access the services immediately unlike some other health insurance companies that make you wait for 2 weeks before accessing any service. Quickly sign up and download the app for affordable personal health care.
- AXA Mansard: this is a popular award-winning health insurance providing company, most of their plan covers Nigeria and India which is great and they offer individual and corporate plans. The payment is not as flexible as the others but the service is great and for 49,800 Naira only, you get access to a long list of benefits and hospitals. See the plans and coverage.
Health care and healthy living are not only for the wealthy politicians, these companies have made it so easy to get insurance. Save time and money and prevent emergencies and preventable deaths with good health insurance cover. Share this with a friend and enjoy the benefits of health insurance. see other health insurance companies.